Poetry II: Reciting
This is a continuation of an older post. If you haven't, please, check it out:
http://ib-cas-jorgemartinez.blogspot.com.es/2016/08/poetry-i-autodidact.html
Nowadays, talking about poetry means talking about recitals. Poetry recitals or "slams" gather poets on stage for they to compete for the best verse as judged by the public. The good thing is that there is no real feeling of competition and the main purpose is to meet people with the same hobbies, that are willing to listen to your writings.
Up to now, I have only recited in my school on St. Patrick's day. It's the school's patron saint and a bunch of activities were organized so I saw my chance to debut as slammer. I was really nervous and I could barely see the public behind the stage lightings. Surprisingly, it was all over before I could realize it and, once I calmed myself, I thought that I had really enjoyed it and I even had a second go.
Since the experience was amazing, I am now looking forward to go to some places in Madrid where recitals are organized. There are two bars I have heard of, both located very near to each other, in MalasaƱa district. They both hold slams weekly (for amateurs and professionals alike) and I have seen a few videos they have shared in their twitter accounts and the people seem really nice (and really good poets too). They are called Aleatorio bar and Diablos azules, respectively.
I am sure I will have a great time and, with a little of luck, I will meet great people and also learn from them.
![]() |
| Aleatorio bar |
| Diablos azules. Fuente: http://juanguinot.blogspot.com.es/ |

No comments: